Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Got Honey?

I do!  I inspected the "good" hive yesterday...first time in a couple weeks.  Previously, there was not much honey anywhere in the hive...only a little here and there.  I was worried I would have to feed them heavily and that there would certainly be no honey "harvest".  Now one of the honey boxes is packed full of honey though it appears they are just now beginning to cap it.  Once it is all capped, I will be able to take that box off and it will be ready for extraction.  The other honey super is not full but the comb is all drawn out and they do appear to be starting to fill it...  I put in a queen excluder to keep her out of these two honey supers...there was no evidence that she ever ventured into either so that is good.  Hopefully all will go well and I'll have honey.

I did not check the other hive but did provide them medicated syrup.  They should pack this away in frames...which I will then use in the other hive for the winter.  Later I will try combining the two hives...

No comments: