Monday, May 24, 2010

The Why...

So last Fall, I decided I wanted to be a beekeeper.

Why?

I had heard the many news stories regarding the plight of bees worldwide and the devastating effects of Colony Collapse Disorder as well as many other pests and diseases that are taking their toll on bees. I wanted to do a small part in trying to help bees thrive in my area.

A second reason is that both my wife and I have increasingly moved towards supporting our local economy as much as we can. We have started purchasing the vast majority of our vegetables (and now even meats) from a local farm (Pete's Greens) through a CSA (Community Sustained Agriculture) plan. I think that by keeping bees and making my own honey that I know is healthy and all-natural is just another way of "keeping it local".

The third reason is that I LOVE honey!

It seems that I was destined to be a beekeeper...at least thus far (easy to say since the bees have yet to arrive!). The very next day after announcing my intention to my wife, her beekeeper co-worked received an email from the Vermont Beekeepers Association announcing a grant for new beekeepers. This grant will reimburse new beekeepers 50% of the cost of starting 1 to 2 hives up to $200 per hive! Whoo hoo! It was meant to be!

So I made the decision to be a beekeeper..."Now what?" I asked. Just what is required to house bees?

No comments: